Lemon Drop Tomato




"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard

To tell you the truth tomatoes usually rank pretty low on my chart of must grow garden veggies. For one reason or another certain people are drawn to growing certain items due to their ease or difficulty, their appearance, their demand and so on. I enjoy eating tomatoes but up until recently did not realize how much I had been missing out on.

Last year I had gotten a yellow cherry tomato from our local farmers market, Frog Pond, and it was really delicious. I had wanted to try to save seed from it but never got around to it. This past winter while reading through my seed catalogs I started thinking back to that yellow tomato and thought I would give something a bit more exotic a try and see what the big deal was/is with heirloom tomatoes.

The Seed Savers Exchange, whom I love, offered a 6 pack of random starter plants for both peppers and tomatoes so I decided to order the tomatoes. One of the six that came in the mail was a variety called Lemon Drops. This is the write up for the tomato in the Seed Savers 2011 catalog; "Winner of SSE's 2010 Tomato Tasting. Seed originally from Florida SSE member J.T. Sessions, who found this sport growing with his Snow White Cherry plants. Heavy sets of 1/2-3/4" translucent yellow-green cherry tomatoes. Refreshing tart-sweet flavor. Continues producing even in cold wet growing conditions."

I am here to tell you these tomatoes are absolutely incredible! They are abundant and delicious. I am already working on saving seed, I cannot imagine a garden without this tomato. Everyone in our house gave them an enthusiastic thumbs up. They are one of the first of the group of six to begin to ripen as well.

If you are looking for a new tomato to grow try the Lemon Drop. It will become a corner stone of your garden plans. Now I know what the big deal is! Now I know what I have been missing out on!

Tobias Whitaker blogs for Mother Earth News and Grit Magazine. Click on the Mother Earth News logo at the bottom of the page for all of his post. You can also find him on Facebook at Seed To Harvest: Bossy Hen Homestead  https://www.facebook.com/seedtoharvestbossyhenhomestead/ which is a central location for his homesteading blogs and his homeschooling blog, A Mile In Her Shoes: Tales Of A Stay-At Home Dad found here https://amileinhershoestalesofastayathomedad.wordpress.com/

Comments

Popular Posts