Red Cabbage


This is the first time I have ever grown cabbage and I have to say that our cabbages look beautiful this year though we did have a funny thing happen this growing season. Every single one of our green heads was devoured by insects while the red (knock on wood) were virtually untouched. In years past I would grow extra lettuce because I don’t put a fence around my garden and it was sort of a trade off with the local wild life, they would eat the lettuce put out for them and for the most part leave the rest of the garden alone. I guess this year they decided to feast on cabbage…oh well!

As you may know the cabbage is part of the cruciferous vegetable family, this group includes broccoli and Brussels sprouts to name a few others. These bad boys are loaded with essential nutrients for fighting cancer. They also happen to be a rich source of Vitamin A and Vitamin E which is very good for the health of your skin, Vitamin A also happens to be good for the eyes. Cabbage also contains Vitamin C which is an important anti-oxidant. Another interesting tidbit about cabbage is that it boosts the immune systems ability to produce more antibodies.

Comments

Popular Posts