"Sister Spinster Stinging Nettle"

The Nettle has always fascinated me but I had no idea how amazing this overlooked plant truly is! One began to grow up next to my rose bush and as with all sneaking plants I chose to let her remain- despite her threat. She hasn't stung anyone yet and the kids know to respect her for her potential.
Susan Weed is my herbal guru and I knew she had included Nettle in her book "Healing Wise" however I was unaware of the healing potential of this stinger. From the roots to the leaves and seeds every part hold healing potentials. Stinging nettle is a good source of calcium, magnesium, silicon, sulphur, copper, chromium, zinc, cobalt, potassium and phosphorus as well as containing high amounts of vitamins A, C, D, E, and K as well as riboflavin and thiamine. Just as keeping bees, if you are willing to be stung you may have the honey...
"...cows fed on it give much milk and yellow butter. Makes horses smart and frisky. Stimulates fowls to lay many eggs." Rafinesque (1830)
After reading all the benefits of this beauty I then began to wonder how I would harvest her without recieving a lashing- here is what I found:
1. Wear thick gloves and long sleeves when you are harvesting and do not pull up the plant (she may come back next year)
2. cut it just under the second or third row of leaves
3. place plant in big brown paper bag which you can use to dry them in
4. let dry or you may eat
Once you pour boiling water over these beauties their stinging properties cease. You can steam them- infuse them or use them in any recipe you would use leafy greens in-
Enjoy and begin to feel all the benefits of her healing!

Comments

Popular Posts