Year in Review 2017

Rogue Sunflower
“Odd as I am sure it will appear to some, I can think of no better form of personal involvement in the cure of the environment than that of gardening. A person who is growing a garden, if he is growing it organically, is improving a piece of the world. He is producing something to eat, which makes him somewhat independent of the grocery business, but he is also enlarging, for himself, the meaning of food and the pleasure of eating.” 
― Wendell BerryThe Art of the Commonplace: The Agrarian Essays

2017 was a year of accomplishments and obstacles. This, of course, is true of any of our lives in any given year but in regards to my continuing mission at the Bossy Hen homestead there were some glaring examples of both.

It has long been my goal to extend my growing season here in southern New York state by using row covers. Due in large part to the contributions we received last year from a number of like minded individuals I was able to invest in the equipment and do so. I used Agribon row covers which allowed me to plant my first seeds in early April which is a full 8 weeks ahead of schedule. One of the benefits of this particular row cover is that it protects young plant a few degree below freezing temperatures. The same technique allowed us to grow a fall garden of carrots, beets and greens well into November. Approximately an additional 6 weeks of garden production.

I had also added four new raised beds in 2017. Space is always in demand when homesteading on 1/16th of an acre so the beds were well needed. They were used for shallotsSwiss chard and Italian peppers among other delicious items.
She was just a baby when we started

Urban livestock was an adventure this past year. I decided to raise chickens for meat again this year as well as a few chicks for eggs. I lost a number of them to a nasty rodent. It was my first experience with that sort of thing and it forced me to be far more focused in terms of protecting young animals with properly built pens. I also bought ducks for meat but they never made it to the table. The female was horribly loud so we auctioned her off and kept the drake who seemed to prefer the company of our laying hens anyway. He is still around and seems to think that he is a rooster. I also added two pygmy/Nigerian dwarf goats to the homestead. I am slowly becoming more comfortable with them but there is a lot of learning and work to be done still.

In regards to the business end of things I grew and raised nearly $870.14 worth of fruits, vegetables, herbs, eggs and meat according to the U.S.D.A price market. My total expenses were $741.55 so I came out in the black! I do believe these numbers will only get better in both respects as I refine my technique. I do have to point out that though I did sell some items a large majority of the harvest was for my own family. There are six of us you know! The one thing that I absolutely have to get better at is waste in the garden and making sure that any left overs make it to the local food bank.

Ground Cherry
My major obstacle this year, aside from scheduling my time, was my health. Right smack dab in middle of the growing season I came down with acute Lyme's disease. It was a nightmare. I was bedridden for a month. The garden and animals survived simply because my kids and wife stepped up big time. When I was finally able to get out of bed I had brain fog and an overwhelming case of fatigue. It was a long walk back to health but I am getting there.

I do have goals for the coming season of 2018. I want to set the animals up so that they have ample space and comfortable quarters without invading the kids play area. I would also like to add a good fence around the property. Lastly I would like to add quail to the homestead for meat and eggs.

Now if you will excuse me I have to scour my seed catalogs while the fire burns brightly.

You can also find the work of Tobias Whitaker at Mother Earth NewsGrit Magazine and on Facebook. Be sure to see what he is up to on Instagram

All photographs by Tobias Whitaker unless noted.  


Comments

Popular Posts