Corn (2)



“I have no hostility to nature, but a child's love to it. I expand and live in the warm day like corn and melons." Ralph Waldo Emerson


It is that time of year again! As I drive home from work through the beautiful rolling hills of rural New York I must pass at least four or five road side stands selling fresh ears of corn. I never stop though because in our back yard we have our second generation of Bantam Sweet Corn growing.

We have already had a few meals with some young corn but last night my son and I went out into the garden and gathered cherry tomatoes, carrots and corn. Now it is a race against time, I have a feeling every meal from here on out is going to have some delicious cobs, buttered and salted to perfection! It looks as though we should have enough maize to freeze a couple of cobs for later in the year also.

Originally we got our Bantam seeds from the Seed Savers Exchange. We have already picked out a few ears to save as seed for next year, which will be our third generation of corn! I am considering selling some of the seed locally. They are not necessarily the prettiest looking cobs but it is organic and delicious and that is what matters most to me.

A bit of gardening advice for you as well, you want to keep your celery and tomatoes at least 20 feet away from your corn. I learned the hard way with both this year!

On a side note the photos are from the very first garden that we grew when we moved into our house. That is my oldest daughter when she was just a baby! Plus our first blog on corn was from September 3rd 2009 if you would like to go through the files and read a little more about maize.

Comments

Popular Posts